If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen you can apply for the EU Settlement Scheme for you and your family to continue living in the UK after 30th June 2021. You will either get a settled or pre-settled status if the application is successful.

If you have received a settled status this will usually mean that you have been living in the UK before 31st December 2020 and you have lived in the UK for 5 years with a small number of exceptions (also known as ‘continuous residence’). If you have received a settled status, then you may live in the UK for as long as you like. You can spend up to 5 continuous years outside of the UK without losing your status (Swiss citizens can spend up to 4 years outside of the UK without losing their status). With this you will also be able to apply for a British citizenship.

A pre-settled status usually means that you have started living in the UK before 31st December 2020 however, you do not have 5 years of continuous residence. Once you have reached your 5 years of continuous residence in the UK then you can apply for the settled status before your pre-settled status expires. You can stay in the UK for a further 5 years from the date that you receive your pre-settled status. With a pre-settled status, you can spend 2 years in a row outside of the UK without losing your status.

Complete applications usually take 5 days to process however, this can take up to a month. The processing time will begin once they have received all the relevant documentation. Your application will take longer if they need to request more information from you, you submit a paper application or if you have a criminal record.

What you will need to apply:

  • Proof of identity (valid passport or identity card)
  • A photo of your face
  • Proof of your residence in the UK (unless you have a valid permanent residence document)

If you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen you can use a valid passport, biometric residence card or biometric residence permit

How can you prove your identity for the EU settlement scheme?

  • You can us the iPhone and Android app ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’
  • Book an appointment to scan the documents in person
  • Enter the document details online and send your identity documents by post

How will they use your personal information to grant you a settlement scheme?

  • Criminal and security checks
  • National Insurance number to check with the Department for Work and Pensions and the HMRC
  • Sharing the evidence with other organisations to protect against fraud

One of our Igloo team members successfully went through the EU Settlement Scheme process. We asked them a few questions that may help you during your application process. Read Now

Deadline to apply: 30th June 2021

Fees to apply: Free

APPLY NOW: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status